So, you are accused of a crime you did not commit?
What is the first thing that crosses your mind?
Probably to speak to the victim and explain how you are not responsible for the crime!
Well! This is NOT what you should be doing!
You may find yourself accused of a crime you did not commit by a victim or his relative. This accusation may be genuine from the point of view of the victim or it could be a false accusation made to malign your name.
Then what must you do if criminal charges are pressed against you?
- The first thing you must do is engage a good criminal lawyer. Make sure you choose an experienced lawyer who is knowledgeable about the state and federal laws in the context of the crime you are accused of.
- Try to gather evidence that will help defend you. This could be data in the form of emails, computer records, GPS records, etc. This evidence will help prove your innocence.
- List down the evidence at the scene of the crime which you cannot collect.
- List down the names of witnesses who were either present at the scene of the crime or those who have information about the crime that can prove your innocence.
All this information will help your criminal lawyer to prepare a strategy to defend you. The lawyer will conduct his own investigation to gather evidence to support you.
Here’s what you should not do when you are falsely accused of a crime:
- Do not talk to the victim of the crime. This could work against you.
- Do not try to destroy or meddle with any evidence against you because this will be held against you in court.
- Make sure you do not answer any questions by the investigating authorities in the absence of your lawyer.
- Do not present any evidence that will support you to the authorities without your lawyer’s consent.
Criminal charges must be taken very seriously because they not only have severe penalties but also ruin the reputation of the defendant.
A criminal lawsuit is tried by the State against the defendant. The public prosecutor needs to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt in a court trial. A criminal case is tried in front of a jury and presided over by a judge. If the criminal defense attorney is able to raise a doubt in the mind of one or more members of the jury, the defendant gets the verdict of Not guilty. So, the burden of proof in such cases lies with the prosecution.
When criminal charges are pressed against an individual, both the state authorities and the defendant’s lawyers conduct their investigations to gather evidence and witness to support their case. As per law, both parties are required to share this information.
Your criminal lawyer will prepare a defense strategy to get you acquitted of the crime. Find the best criminal defense lawyers at Autry Law Firm! Our team of lawyers has a proven track record of successfully defending clients facing criminal charges.